You’ve worked hard. And Labor Day is the time to celebrate you–who built up this great land from field to field and desk to desk. That’s why we put together this list of BBQ hacks to make the most of your holiday. After all, you’ve earned it!
- If you run out of firelighters, you can use tortilla chips.
- Spray your meat with a squirt bottle full of apple juice as it cooks. It will keep your meat moist and tender and give it an extra flavour kick. Works particularly well with pork.
- If you don’t have a grill brush, you can clean your grill with aluminum foil while the grates are still warm. Make a ball out of it, grab it with a pair of tongs, and start cleaning.
- You can also clean your grill with an onion. The oils will help break up grease and give your food more flavor.
- Cook your fish on lemons to keep it from sticking to the grill (and add extra flavor!)
- Add ice water to your burger before putting it on the grill to make it extra juicy.
- Add spices for a dry rub to a large jar. Throw in your meat, give it a shake, and it’s ready for the grill.
- As if we needed more reasons to love beer, you can marinate your meat in beer to make it healthier. Grilled meat is delicious, but grilling causes carcinogenic PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) and HCAs (heterocyclic amines) to form in meat. Scientists have discovered you can negate this effect by marinating your meat in dark beer.
- Cook hot dogs the right way: spiral cut them first. They’ll be perfectly cooked, with a crisp exterior and well-done, juicy interior.
- Use an egg carton to start your coals and light the fire quickly.
Got more tips and tricks to share? Let us know on our Facebook page. And happy grillin’!